January 16, 2014

How to: Give your home character

**Be sure to link-up to Design in your Home with Jackie and I and you could be featured**


I shared that we are house hunting so you will probably be seeing a lot of home related posts (not that you weren't already).


Do you have a cookie cutter house?? You know like this one? Haha...I mean one that looks exactly like its neighbors? Do you need some help making it you?


Here are some ways to make your cookie house stand out. (note: Some of these are very expensive ways to accomplish this and I am not saying these have to be done to have a beautiful home).


Architectural Elements

source/ source
-add feet to your kitchen cabinets or bathroom vanities
-add crown molding, chair rail, or beadboard

Flooring


source/source
- paint them! (some people will probably cringe at this one)
-rip up that carpet (okay I am not opposed to carpet but I think hardwood/tile/laminate with an area rug is way better for living spaces)


Lighting


source/source
-choose cohesive lighting to carry throughout your house but don't be afraid to pick out a unique dining chandelier or a fun foyer pendant
-and if you can't afford new fixtures, try painting or altering your current ones

Ceilings (this is a great way to set yourself apart)


source/source
-add wood planks or even wallpaper
-make a faux coffered ceiling


"Built-ins" (this one doubles as extra storage space)
-you can fake it till you make it or shell out lots of money on this one.
-frame spaces (ex. put bookcases on either side of a fireplace)


            



post signature

4 comments:

  1. I love these tips! I'm all about character for a house, and sometimes it feels like you have to trade off nice for charm, but this is the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great ideas! I absolutely love the ceiling ideas. Maybe someday, when we're done paying off our house ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - such good ideas - see, this is why I follow blogs like yours, because I have a hard time coming up with these ideas myself. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vinyl flooring Tampa may not be the real thing, but it is much easier to maintain and care for. Buying this type of flooring can save you a lot of headache and time later.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to show my blog some love :)