May 16, 2014

DIY Wall Art (Gabby Post)


Hellllo readers! I hope everyone is enjoying Spring and the beautiful weather. I haven't much time to do my DIY projects because I've been trying to get out of the house as much as possible. That, and I haven't been as inspired from Pinterest as I usually am. UNTIL NOW.

Meet this wonderful creation: DIY WALL ART


You see, there's this large empty space behind my dresser that needs some attention. Right now it's so bare and I've been wondering what to put there. A mirror? Hanging jewelry box? Art?

Then I found this DIY project and knew it was calling my name. I love everything about it-it's chevron, it's colorful, it's just the right size...

So I went to Michaels and bought a canvas and some Acrylic paints (in teal hues of course to match the bedroom decor)! I already had painter's tape, 1" wide, to use to create the design on the canvas.



 Next, I marked the canvas to the spacing I wanted and laid out the tape in parallel lines.



The hard part was getting the chevron/herring bone pattern. It took me a couple tries and lots of measuring! I finally got it down.


It's not perfect by any means, but I still love the look!


The next step, I took metallic gold spray paint and sprayed over the canvas. I didn't cover it, making sure there were plenty of white spots to fill in with other colors. Then I just kept adding paint until I had used all the colors I wanted on the canvas. I had no particular order or method, just kept painting!




I left that dry over night and then started peeling off the painters tape. There were a few places where the tape had started coming up and a little paint got underneath, but I wasn't too worried about it! Here's the final product!



So after all that work I had to put it up. We're renting, so I decided not to hang it. I set it on top of the dresser instead, which I love! Here is the BEFORE (ignore our dresser, I'm going to refinish it with a whitish paint, so it's on the list of DIY projects!):


And here's the AFTER:



I love the pop of color, definitely what I was needing on that wall!

What do you all think? Did I do it justice?


I'm excited to have it in our bedroom finally. It was a super easy way to spruce up the place! I think I might have an even easier project for next time. I just found it today, so I'll be back in June with that project! :)

Gabby

3 comments:

  1. I love this! It's beautiful. I definitely am going to have to try this out this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Gabby did a great job. Would love to see pictures if you make one! So glad you stopped by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this DIY project! It looks so great on your dresser! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to show my blog some love :)