January 25, 2013

Help my blog friend!

I received an email a few weeks ago from Kaity asking for my help. Here is her story.
I moved to Richmond in 2001. Just 6 months later - when I was 23 - I was diagnosed with Stage IIB Hodgkins Lymphoma. I had no idea how lucky my move here was, because the VCU Massey Cancer Center is here, and I was able to be successfully treated with IV chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Shortly thereafter, I began running in the Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K as part of the Massey Challenge. I wanted to say thank you to the researchers, physicians, and staff who saved my life. Then in 2010, my doctors discovered that I also carry the BRCA1 gene mutation - the breast and ovarian cancer gene. This is particularly concerning for my team at Massey because my history of cancer was in my chest and abdomen. They recommended that I undergo a double mastectomy and hysterectomy. I have opted not to - largely because of the faith I have in the research they are doing and I know that they will have amazing treatments - if not a cure - by the time I need them.
So why am I sharing this with you? Because I want to help Kaity find a cure, reach her goal and continue to be cancer-free! Her goal is to raise $25,151 before April 13th!
Check out Kaity's blog {here}

If you want to KNOW MORE, check out this Times Dispatch article on Kaity!



Until we find a cure,

post signature


2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing! Thank you for your support! I know together we will find a cure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you are amazing! Keep doing what you are doing! Glad I could help. Let me know if I can do anything else :)

      XO Samantha

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to show my blog some love :)